Skip to Main
image description

Level of Significance

  • File
  • Local
  • Regional
  • State
  • National

Age

93yrs

Trees

1

Diameter

2m

Height - 16m

Details

Common name
Moreton Bay Fig
Botanical name
Ficus macrophylla
Other name
Tugun Hotel Moreton Bay Fig Tree
Type
Individual Tree
Condition
Good
Municipality
Gold Coast City (QLD)
Location
Tooloona Street Tugun QLD 4224
Access
Unrestricted
Significances
  • Outstanding species (Scientific)
  • Landscape (Social)
  • Landmark (Social)
  • Contemporary association (Social)
  • Park/Garden/Town (Historic)
  • Commemorative (Historic)
  • Person/Group/Institution (Historic)
  • Attractive (Aesthetic)
Date of germination
01 Jan 1926
Date of measurement
24 Jan 2015
Date of classification
09 May 2016

Statement of Significance

The Moreton Bay Fig Tree has significance for the following reasons:-
SCIENTIFIC:- The tree is an outstanding example of its species
SOCIAL:- It makes a significant contribution to landscape and is an
important landmark at Tugun. It has contemporary association with the community who value its shady ambience and illuminate it at night creating a festive atmosphere.
HISTORIC:- The tree forms a significant part of the historic seaside settlement. It is associated with the Diamond family who were important pioneers and business entities in the area and commemorates the original Tugun Hotel.
AESTHETIC:- It is a magnificent looking tree and a better than average example of its species, or a tree in its location.

History

In 1898, the Farrell family cleared land and established a small dairy farm in the coastal settlement area that is now known as Tugun. The completion of the rail link from Brisbane to Tweed Heads in 1903 resulted in the influx of seaside holiday makers to the area. In 1925, FS Charles constructed the Seaside Hotel at Tugun. The Diamond family took over the management of the hotel in 1926 and after the hotel burnt to the ground Patrick Diamond purchased the site and had a new hotel rebuilt. In 1926, Diamond planted this Moreton Bay Fig. It survives as a landmark in the area adjacent to the Tugun Tavern which now stands in place of Diamond’s Tugun Hotel. The Gold Coast City Council Heritage Register states, ‘The Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla), planted around 1926, is historically important for its symbolic association with the site of the first hotel built at Tugun. The tree is situated close to the modern day Pacific Highway and over the years has developed an aesthetic significance as a well known landmark in Tugun.
The Fig has a special association with Patrick and Annie Diamond, managers of the first hotel in Tugun from 1925 to 1933, and subsequent owners of the 1933 rebuilt Tugun Hotel. The Diamonds made a notable contribution to the economic and social development of Tugun through their business activities.’

Location

The tree is located on a median strip at the eastern part of the intersection of Tooloona Streets and Golden Four Drive.

Notes

In 1898, the Farrell family cleared land and established a small dairy farm in the coastal settlement area that is now known as Tugun. The completion of the rail link from Brisbane to Tweed Heads in 1903 resulted in the influx of seaside holiday makers to the area. In 1925, FS Charles constructed the Seaside Hotel at Tugun. The Diamond family took over the management of the hotel in 1926 and after the hotel burnt to the ground Patrick Diamond purchased the site and had a new hotel rebuilt. In 1926, Diamond planted this Moreton Bay Fig. It survives as a landmark in the area adjacent to the Tugun Tavern which now stands in place of Diamond’s Tugun Hotel. The Gold Coast City Council Heritage Register states, ‘The Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus macrophylla), planted around 1926, is historically important for its symbolic association with the site of the first hotel built at Tugun. The tree is situated close to the modern day Pacific Highway and over the years has developed an aesthetic significance as a well known landmark in Tugun.
The Fig has a special association with Patrick and Annie Diamond, managers of the first hotel in Tugun from 1925 to 1933, and subsequent owners of the 1933 rebuilt Tugun Hotel. The Diamonds made a notable contribution to the economic and social development of Tugun through their business activities.’
The tree is located on a median strip at the eastern part of the intersection of Tooloona Streets and Golden Four Drive.